Updated: Jun 5, 2019
1. The ruby is one of the most historically significant colored stones for its intense red color. Rubies symbolize passion, power, and desire, therefore making an ideal romantic gift. Consumers are drawn to this gemstone because the color itself signifies wealth and success.
2. The earliest record of rubies were in literature from the Northern Silk Road. It details how rubies were transported west from China during the Han dynasty. During this time, rubies were used to decorate royal families, and noblemen's armor in China and India. They were also placed under buildings to bring good fortune to the structure.
3. It’s important to purchase rubies with laboratory certificates such as GIA, GRS, or Gueblin Report. These reports ensure the validity of the stone.
4. Rubies make great engagement rings, earrings, pendants, and bracelets. Because they have a hardness of 9.0 on the Mohs scale of mineral toughness, they are very sturdy gemstones. For reference, diamonds and moissanite are the only natural gems that are harder, scoring a 10.0.
5. Rubies are mostly mined from Mozambique, Burma, Thailand and Cambodia. You can learn more about the mining process on our site here.
We have rubies in all sorts of shapes, sizes, and colors. See below a small selection of what we have in store.* Come visit us to learn more.
*This image is not updated frequently. We may not have a particular stone in stock. Please contact us to find out if we have the stone you're interested in.